Picturesque ruins, and the Museum of the Isles
Armadale Castle is the former seat of the Macdonalds of Sleat and known as the 'spiritual home of Clan Donald'. Romantic castle ruins sit among 40 acres of historic gardens with exotic plants, woodland and scenic walks overlooking the sea. In the award-winning Museum of the Isles, six galleries bring Highlands and Islands history to life through the story of Clan Donald - from its days of medieval glory, the Lords of the Isles, to the clan's emigration around the world. There is also a café, children's play area and two gift shops.
Join us every Thursday in the school holidays for hands-on family activities. We'll be running different fun and creative activities each week, for families with children aged 2 - 12. It all takes place in and around the museum's new outdoor learning space - the Old Laundry Activity Tent. Spaces in the tent are limited to comply with Covid rules. So it's best to book your activity slot in advance. We're aso running outdoor trails and giant games outside the tent, available 10:00 - 16:00. Click here for more info and to book. Each week's themes can be found below.
- 1 July: Castles and tapestries. Weaving workshop.
- 8 July: Dragons and Sea Monsters. Puppet-making workshop.
- 15 July: Food and feasting in the castle. Gardening workshop.
- 22 July: Maps, mazes and mini-beasts. Mini-beasts and pond-dipping workshop.
- 29 July: Castle islands. Clay modelling workshop.
- 5 August: Flags and shields. Storytelling workshop.
- 12 August: Boats and fishing. Junk boat modelling workshop.
- 19 August: Castles and tapestries. Weaving workshop.
- 26 August: Castle islands. Clay modelling workshop.
For more on Skye visit our destination page.