Ref 1600-SB Lead Data Engineer
EMPLOYING COMPANY: CalMac Ferries Limited
JOB TITLE: Lead Data Engineer
REPORTS TO: Head of Architecture, Digital & Data
VACANCY REF: 1600-SB
CONTRACT: 12 Months Fixed Term
RATE OF PAY: Senior Manager
LOCATION: Remote with regular travel to Gourock Head Office
HOURS PER WEEK: 37.5
DATE ADVERTISED: 20 November 2020
CLOSING DATE: 04 December 2020
The recruitment Information pack is designed to provide you with as much information as possible, relevant to the role and the recruitment process.
CalMac Ferries Limited is an equal opportunities employer; as such our selection processes are designed to promote equality of opportunity for all.
If you have any further queries, please contact HR Services by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
CalMac Ferries Limited is the UK's largest ferry operator in terms of ships and destinations served and one of the largest transport operators in Scotland. It is a multi-award-winning ferry and port operation and ship management specialist providing essential lifeline services and logistical support to island and remote communities.
For more information please visit our website at www.calmac.co.uk/corporate/about-us
BENEFITS OF A CAREER WITH CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
• A rewarding career
• A competitive salary
• Excellent training, development and career progression
• 37 days annual leave (pro-rata)
• Staff travel pass for yourself, spouse/partner and dependents
Forming a key part of the Architecture, Digital and Data team, this is a rare and exciting opportunity to join Caledonian MacBrayne's internal data engineering team.
Data is seen as a key enabler for CalMac and the engineering team provide data infrastructure and services to support a growing and diverse community of specialist analysts based throughout our business.
Working at a senior level, you will develop and support a range of system integrations, ETL processes, data-at-rest solutions, internal API's and reporting tools, using a mix of both traditional and cutting-edge technology.
FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES/KEY TASKS
• Own and develop the roadmap for the data engineering function, working with other senior team members to identify, plan, develop and deliver data services
• Be responsible for the build of data-streaming systems with a focus on:
o Re-engineering manual data flows to enable scaling and repeatable use
o Producing ETL designs and code with a view to optimal ETL performance
o Building accessible data for analysis
o Implementing flows to connect operational systems to analytics and business intelligence (BI) systems
• Be responsible for the build of a connected enterprise estate, applying expert knowledge of the following systems integration approaches:
o Serverless RESTful microservices
o Messaging and queuing
• Recognise and share opportunities to re-use existing data flows between systems
• Inspire best practice for data products and services across the Information Technology team
and the wider business
• Build data engineering capability by providing technical leadership and career development
for the team
• Champion data engineering across CalMac
Skills, Qualifications & Experience
• Technical understanding. You can predict and advise on future technology changes that present opportunities for a product or programme.
• Programming and build. You can set team-based standards for programming tools and techniques and can select appropriate development methods. You can advise on the application of standards and practices and ensure compliance. You can take technical responsibility for all stages and iterations in a data development project, providing method-specific technical advice and guidance to project stakeholders.
• Testing. You can review requirements, specifications and define test conditions. You can identify issues and risks associated with work while being able to analyse and report test activities and results
• Data innovation. You can investigate emerging trends in data-related approaches, performing horizon-scanning for the organisation and introducing innovative ways of working.
• Data modelling. You understand the concepts and principles of data modelling and can produce, maintain and update relevant data models for specific business needs.
• Data integration design. You can develop fit-for-purpose, resilient, scalable and future-proof data services to meet user needs. You have a demonstrable understanding of how to expose data from systems (for example, through APIs)
• Data integration standards. You can establish benchmarks, and you keep abreast of best practice in the industry and across CalMac. You know how to keep those standards up to date and ensure adherence to them.
Our data and integration platforms are currently transitioning to Azure. You will require an expert level of understanding in building solutions for both our current and target technology stack:
o On-premise Microsoft SQL Server
o SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
o IBM Cognos
o Azure SQL Database
o Azure Data Factory
o Azure Streaming Analytics
o Azure Function Apps (NodeJS or C#)
OUR NINE KEY COMPETENCIES ARE:
To ensure that we will lead and motivate others to enable them to contribute to the best of their ability.
DECISION MAKING AND JUDGEMENT
To ensure that we weigh the pros and cons of each decision point and take the decision which best meets the objective in hand.
To ensure that we work together to deliver the best we can achieve and our business goals.
To enable everyone to do their job and ensure that our staff are ready for the next step if the opportunity arises.
To ensure that we work in an effective and efficient manner. To ensure that we have the ability to adapt and change plans as the requirements of the situation change.
DRIVE FOR RESULTS
To ensure that we have the energy into achieving results and to take action to exceed goals and expectations.
To ensure the safety of ourselves, our teams, our customers and our visitors.
To ensure that we anticipate, meet and exceed the needs and expectations of our customers; both internal and external.
To encourage all staff to think of new or innovative ways of working to help the organisation continually improve.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Please ensure that you complete the on-line applications fully as you can as well as submitting an up-to-date CV. It is important that you demonstrate how you meet the essential and desirable criteria outlined within the Job Description.
We will evaluate your suitability for the role by assessing your qualifications, skills and experience.
To ensure you are in the best position to perform to your highest standards during our selection process, make sure you review the competencies outlined in the Job Description and have prepared examples of times you have successfully demonstrated these behaviours in the past.
Should you be successful, your offer will be subject to the successful completion of a 6-month probationary period and the provision of two satisfactory references.
If you apply for this role and your application is unsuccessful, we will, as part of the Equality Act 2010, retain your application for 1 year after the role is filled. After this time, your application will be destroyed.