Ref 735-SG Skipper (Small Ferry Fleet)
EMPLOYING COMPANY: CALEDONIAN MACBRAYNE CREWING (GUERNSEY) LIMITED
JOB TITLE: Skipper
REPORTS TO: Marine Manager
VACANCY REF: 735-SG
LOCATION: Small Ferries Fleet
SHIFT PATTERN: 1 Week on / 1 Week off
DATE ADVERTISED: 11 January 2021
CLOSING DATE: 25 January 2021
PLEASE NOTE: There is no guarantee that all advertised positions will be required for the 2021 Summer Season. We will continue to monitor the COVID19 situation and will recruit in line with service requirements which will be led by Government guidelines.
The recruitment Information pack is designed to provide you with as much information as possible, relevant to the role and the recruitment process.
CalMac Ferries Limited is an equal opportunities employer; as such our selection processes are designed to promote equality of opportunity for all.
If you have any further queries, please contact HR Services by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
CALEDONIAN MACBRAYNE CREWING (GUERNSEY) LIMITED
Caledonain MacBrayne Crewing (Guernsey) Limited employs and supplies all sea going staff to CalMac Ferries Limited. There are currently 33 ferries serving 52 ports on 29 routes providing 145,000 sailings per year.
CalMac Ferries Limited is the UK's largest ferry operator in terms of ships and destinations served and one of the largest transport operators in Scotland. It is a multi-award winning ferry and port operation and ship management specialist providing essential lifeline services and logistical support to island and remote communities.
For more information please visit our website at www.calmac.co.uk/corporate/about-us.
BENEFITS OF A CAREER WITH CALMAC CREWING (GUERNSEY) LIMITED
• A competitive salary
• Excellent training, development and career progression
• Staff travel pass for yourself, spouse/partner and dependents
• 28 days annual leave (pro-rata)
The Master/Skipper is in command over all departments and has authority to take whatever actions are necessary for the safety of passengers, crew and the vessel, protection of the environment and proper conduct of the voyage, including -
• The safety of the passengers
• The implementation of and compliance with the Company Management System (including the ISM Code)
• Motivating the crew in the implementation of the Company Management System.
• Ensuring that the vessel is fully manned according to MCA Requirements.
• Ensuring that all stability criteria are met at all times.
• Ensuring that all lifesaving and fire fighting equipment is in good working order and necessary drills are carried out.
• Ensuring that the vessel is navigated safely at all times.
• Ensuring that official logbook is up-to-date.
• Co-ordinating all emergency procedures in the event of an emergency.
• Ensuring requirements of PC including exemptions are complied with.
FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES/KEY TASKS
• Responsible for the safety of passengers, implementation and compliance with the Company Management System onboard
• Operation of the vessel in accordance with all relevant statutory requirements
• Ensuring that the vessel is fully manned according to MCA Requirements
• Co-ordinating all emergency procedures and conducting onboard drills, assisting in the preparation of worklists for annual overhaul.
• You must be customer focused, have a clear understanding of the customer interface and have a proactive approach to customer care.
• Boatmaster Tier 1 Level 2 with passenger ship endorsement (and RoRo endorsement if BML obtained or revalidated since April 2015) or equivalent.
• Valid ENG1 medical.
• Ability to travel at short notice and work anywhere in the company's network.
• Command experience
• STCW II/3 Master (Near Coastal, 500GT) CoC
• Valid UK Drivers Licence
• Please be aware that your certification must be valid for the duration of the Summer season. If your certificates expire during your contract, it is your responsibility to book and pay for their renewal.
• This role will run during our summer season which is between March 2021 and October 2021. You must have no holidays booked within this time. Please note that not all contracts will run for the full summer season.
OUR NINE KEY COMPETENCIES ARE:
To ensure that we will lead and motivate others to enable them to contribute to the best of their ability.
DECISION MAKING AND JUDGEMENT
To ensure that we weigh the pros and cons of each decision point and take the decision which best meets the objective in hand.
To ensure that we work together to deliver the best we can achieve and our business goals.
To enable everyone to do their job and ensure that our staff are ready for the next step if the opportunity arises.
To ensure that we work in an effective and efficient manner. To ensure that we have the ability to adapt and change plans as the requirements of the situation change.
DRIVE FOR RESULTS
To ensure that we have the energy into achieving results and to take action to exceed goals and expectations.
To ensure the safety of ourselves, our teams, our customers and our visitors.
To ensure that we anticipate, meet and exceed the needs and expectations of our customers; both internal and external.
To encourage all staff to think of new or innovative ways of working to help the organisation continually improve.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Please ensure that you complete the on-line applications fully as you can as well as submitting an up-to-date CV. It is important that you demonstrate how you meet the essential and desirable criteria outlined within the Job Description.
We will evaluate your suitability for the role by assessing your qualifications, skills and experience.
To ensure you are in the best position to perform to your highest standards during our selection process, make sure you review the competencies outlined in the Job Description and have prepared examples of times you have successfully demonstrated these behaviours in the past.
Should you be successful, your offer will be subject to the successful completion of a 6-month probationary period and the provision of two satisfactory references.
If you apply for this role and your application is unsuccessful, we will, as part of the Equality Act 2010, retain your application for 1 year after the role is filled and then destroy this.