Ref 734-SG SF Motorman (Small Ferry Fleet)
EMPLOYING COMPANY: CALEDONIAN MACBRAYNE CREWING (GUERNSEY) LIMITED
JOB TITLE: Small Ferries Motorman
REPORTS TO: Skipper and Technical Superintendent
VACANCY REF: 734-SG
LOCATION: Small Ferry Fleet
SHIFT PATTERN: 1 Week on / 1 Week off
DATE ADVERTISED: 11 January 2021
CLOSING DATE: 25 January 2021
The recruitment Information pack is designed to provide you with as much information as possible, relevant to the role and the recruitment process.
CalMac Ferries Limited is an equal opportunities employer; as such our selection processes are designed to promote equality of opportunity for all.
If you have any further queries, please contact HR Services by email at email@example.com
CALEDONIAN MACBRAYNE CREWING (GUERNSEY) LIMITED
Caledonain MacBrayne Crewing (Guernsey) Limited employs and supplies all sea going staff to CalMac Ferries Limited. There are currently 33 ferries serving 52 ports on 29 routes providing 145,000 sailings per year.
CalMac Ferries Limited is the UK's largest ferry operator in terms of ships and destinations served and one of the largest transport operators in Scotland. It is a multi-award winning ferry and port operation and ship management specialist providing essential lifeline services and logistical support to island and remote communities.
For more information please visit our website at www.calmac.co.uk/corporate/about-us.
BENEFITS OF A CAREER WITH CALEDONIAN MACBRAYNE CREWING (GUERNSEY) LIMITED
• A competitive salary
• 28 days annual leave (pro-rata)
• Excellent training, development and career progression
• Staff travel pass for yourself, spouse/partner and dependents
Applications are invited for the seasonal position of Motorman, to sail within the small ferries fleet.
FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES/KEY TASKS
• Complying with the requirements of the Company Management System (including the ISM Code).
• Familiarising himself with the machinery and equipment and also emergency procedures and operation of same.
• Ensuring main and auxiliary machinery maintenance is kept up to date in accordance with the maintenance system.
• Ensuring that waste and any oil sludge accumulation is disposed of in the correct manner and documented as necessary in the Oil Record Book.
• Reporting of all technical problems or breakdowns affecting the operation of the vessel.
• Ensuring that machinery spaces, accommodation spaces and vehicle deck are correctly lit.
• Ensuring that safety systems, for example, fire detection, fire extinguishing, fire main and pump, function in a correct manner.
• Ensuring Engine Room and machinery spaces are safe working areas.
• Communicating with the Technical Superintendent‟s office, if a repair cannot be completed by ship‟s staff, the information on the breakdown required to enable the Technical Superintendent to organise assistance from the Workshops or outside organisations to assist with the repair of the plant or machinery.
• Maintaining the machinery space bilges in a clean condition. Investigating and taking action on any accumulation of oil or water and ensuring correct action is taken to dispose of the oil water in the approved manner and recording same in the Oil Record Book and Garbage Record Book.
• Assisting in the preparation of work lists for overhaul periods.
• Signing for and taking responsibility for any tools supplied to the vessel.
• Ensuring that machinery spaces and voids are maintained in a clean, tidy and well painted condition.
• Requisitioning of emergency stores/spares.
• Any other duties required by the Master/Skipper and Technical Superintendent and Technical Managers.
• ENG 1 (No restrictions)
• Live Locally (Specific Route)
• Ability to travel at short notice (Pool)
• STCW Basic Elements
• Mechanical background
• Ability to work safely at own direction
• Flexible multi-disciplinary approach
• Holds a valid UK Drivers Licence
• Small Vessel Experience
• STCW III/1 EOOW CoC
• Experience with HP hydraulics and 3-phase 415v systems
• Please be aware that your certification must be valid for the duration of the Summer season. If your certificates expire during your contract, it is your responsibility to book and pay for their renewal.
• This role will run during our summer season which is between March 2021 and October 2021. You must have no holidays booked within this time. Please note that not all contracts will run for the full summer season.
OUR NINE KEY COMPETENCIES ARE:
To ensure that we will lead and motivate others to enable them to contribute to the best of their ability.
DECISION MAKING AND JUDGEMENT
To ensure that we weigh the pros and cons of each decision point and take the decision which best meets the objective in hand.
To ensure that we work together to deliver the best we can achieve and our business goals.
To enable everyone to do their job and ensure that our staff are ready for the next step if the opportunity arises.
To ensure that we work in an effective and efficient manner. To ensure that we have the ability to adapt and change plans as the requirements of the situation change.
DRIVE FOR RESULTS
To ensure that we have the energy into achieving results and to take action to exceed goals and expectations.
To ensure the safety of ourselves, our teams, our customers and our visitors.
To ensure that we anticipate, meet and exceed the needs and expectations of our customers; both internal and external.
To encourage all staff to think of new or innovative ways of working to help the organisation continually improve.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Please ensure that you complete the on-line applications fully as you can as well as submitting an up-to-date CV. It is important that you demonstrate how you meet the essential and desirable criteria outlined within the Job Description.
We will evaluate your suitability for the role by assessing your qualifications, skills and experience.
To ensure you are in the best position to perform to your highest standards during our selection process, make sure you review the competencies outlined in the Job Description and have prepared examples of times you have successfully demonstrated these behaviours in the past.
Should you be successful, your offer will be subject to the successful completion of a 6-month probationary period and the provision of two satisfactory references.
If you apply for this role and your application is unsuccessful, we will, as part of the Equality Act 2010, retain your application for 1 year after the role is filled and then destroy this.