As a Deck Rating you will be part of the mooring operations team and once fully qualified, you will steer the ship and also act as a look-out on the bridge. Our Deck Ratings also assist with the operation and maintenance of the ship's deck equipment. The course begins in September and takes around two years to complete.
Key Tasks and Principal Accountabilities
- Complete training tasks as described in the MNTB Deck Rating & Able Seafarer Deck Training Record Book, obtaining monthly signatures as required.
- Carry out helmsman duties as necessary in order to qualify for a steering certificate
- Assist with mooring operations (under supervision)
- Assist with vehicle deck cargo operations (under supervision)
- Assist with general maintenance routines as directed by Bosun
- Duties as required by muster list in an emergency (no direct responsibility)
- Assist mobility impaired passengers to passenger lift
- Watch keeping duties, under supervision in order to gain experience leading to the award of a Navigational Watch Rating Certificate
- Security gangway duties in the absence of a night watchman (doubled up with an experience deck rating)
- Attend such college courses allocated punctually and reliably in accordance with the schedule set by the company and/or the college
To diligently study, as required, to ensure a high level of understanding and knowledge of topics required for the award of:
- Personal Survival Techniques Certificate in accordance with STCW A-VI/1-1
- Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting Certificate in accordance with STCW A-VI/1-2
- Elementary First Aid Certificate in accordance with STCW A-VI/1-3
- Personal Safety & Social Responsibility Certificate in accordance with STCW A-VI/1-4
- Efficient Deck Hand Certificate;
- Certificate of Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats in accordance with STCW A-VI/2.