Ref 1669-SB Operational Planning Business Analyst
EMPLOYING COMPANY: CalMac Ferries Limited
JOB TITLE: Operational Planning Business Analyst
REPORTS TO: Operational PlanningStandards Manager
VACANCY REF: 1669-SB
CONTRACT: 18 Months Fixed-Term
RATE OF PAY: Manager Grade 1
LOCATION: Gourock (remote working in line with Government guidelines)
HOURS PER WEEK: 37.5
DATE ADVERTISED: 07 April 2021
CLOSING DATE: 21 April 2021
The recruitment Information pack is designed to provide you with as much information as possible, relevant to the role and the recruitment process.
CalMac Ferries Limited is an equal opportunities employer; as such our selection processes are designed to promote equality of opportunity for all.
If you have any further queries, please contact HR Services by email email@example.com.
CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
CalMac Ferries Limited is the UK's largest ferry operator in terms of ships and destinations served and one of the largest transport operators in Scotland. It is a multi-award-winning ferry and port operation and ship management specialist providing essential lifeline services and logistical support to island and remote communities.
For more information please visit our website at www.calmac.co.uk/corporate/about-us
BENEFITS OF A CAREER WITH CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
· A rewarding career
· A competitive salary
· Excellent training, development and career progression
· 37 days annual leave (pro-rata)
· Potential to work anywhere in the company's network.
· Staff travel pass for yourself, spouse/partner and dependents.
· To support Project Managers across the Operational Planning Projects, leading project workstreams and gathering and specifying requirements while following the governance framework
· Providing support on analytical project tasks initiated by third parties including Transport Scotland and Harbour Authorities.
· Responsible for data analysis to assess sailing data, costs, capacities, timetables and support impact assessments.
FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES/KEY TASKS
The key responsibilities of the Operational Planning Business Analyst are to:-
· Investigate the operational need and capture all operational requirements in the Statement of Operational Requirements (SOOR), carry out SOOR walkthrough with key stakeholders and obtain stakeholder sign off
· Analyse business processes, working collaboratively with the process owners and users creating the resulting outputs such as the 'as is' process, gap analysis and the 'to be' process
· Support the accurate costing of initiatives by carrying out a thorough scoping of the proposed delivery approach, contributing as required by the Finance Department.
· Co-ordinate the various functional units involved in delivering Operational Planning projects to ensure successful delivery of planned objectives, escalating to the Project Manager and Programme Manager where necessary
· Manage communication and engagement with third parties where appropriate, ensuring all communications are appropriate, align with corporate standards and are fully validated and recorded
· Support the organisational response to formal requests for information, ensuring all responses align with the corporate position, are fully validated and are recorded, circulated, reviewed, collated and returned within the timescales agreed
· Identify, analyse, define, co-ordinate, monitor and assist the delivery of all activities associated with Operational Planning projects within defined constraints
· Lead impact assessments in relation to options for the development and implementation of specific Operational Planning Projects, assess the impact of each proposal and prepare findings for further consideration by the appropriate internal and external forums.
· Maintain a "programme" view of all Operational Planning projects and dependencies/interfaces with other initiatives within the portfolio and organisation
· Liaise with other project teams and colleagues to ensure identification of synergies and opportunities for collaboration and efficiencies.
· Undertake stakeholder analysis and manage the communications with stakeholders
· Support where required at the Programme/Project Steering Group and Project Team Meetings ensuring actions arising are captured and tracked to closure
· Support the delivery of project outputs, progress and use of resources and initiating corrective action were necessary
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
· Formal business analysis certifications from APMG, IIBA, BCS or equivalent
· Evidence of excellent written and oral communication skills
· Excellent report writing and presentation skills
· Experience of organising and chairing meetings
· Experience of change management and the use of business analysis skills and techniques to facilitate change
· Experience and knowledge of delivering effective customer-orientated services
· Evidence of excellent communication and negotiation/influencing skills
· Effective leadership skills. Ability to lead and create a clear common purpose amongst the members of the sub-project teams
· The ability to find ways of solving or pre-empting problems
· Ability to analyse various forms data
· Adaptable and able to utilise standard business analysis practices across a wide range of diverse situations, following the business analysis framework
· Ability to set-up, facilitate and lead workshops with a range of business stakeholders
· Driven and proactive, and able to work both collaboratively and autonomously, putting energy into achieving results and taking action to exceed goals and expectations
· Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office, including Project, Visio, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
· Sufficient in business process mapping using BPMN 2 standards
· Ability to anticipate, meet and exceed the needs of customers, stakeholders and the Client
· Demonstrable experience of working cooperatively and supportively with colleagues, developing positive, open working relationships
· Ability to prioritise and work to deadlines and adjust to changing business requirements
· Enthusiastic, proactive and self-motivated person, with strong organisational, planning and interpersonal skills
· Logical and objective with a high attention to detail
· Ability to work under pressure
· A 'completer-finisher' taking accountability for ideas from inception to delivery, in an environment that requires robust metrics to confirm success
· Strong analytical, project and product management skills, including a thorough understanding of how to interpret business needs and translate them into operational requirements
· Ability to come up with innovative, creative and imaginative solutions
· Use judgement to take quick and confident decisions
· At least three years business analysis experience working in a project environment
· Experience of working in a multi-agency public sector environment
· Undergraduate degree
· Understanding of CalMac network, routes and operation with broad knowledge and understanding of port, marine and ferry operations preferred
OUR NINE KEY COMPETENCIES ARE:
To ensure that we will lead and motivate others to enable them to contribute to the best of their ability.
DECISION MAKING AND JUDGEMENT
To ensure that we weigh the pros and cons of each decision point and take the decision which best meets the objective in hand.
To ensure that we work together to deliver the best we can achieve and our business goals.
To enable everyone to do their job and ensure that our staff are ready for the next step if the opportunity arises.
To ensure that we work in an effective and efficient manner. To ensure that we have the ability to adapt and change plans as the requirements of the situation change.
DRIVE FOR RESULTS
To ensure that we have the energy into achieving results and to take action to exceed goals and expectations.
To ensure the safety of ourselves, our teams, our customers and our visitors.
To ensure that we anticipate, meet and exceed the needs and expectations of our customers; both internal and external.
To encourage all staff to think of new or innovative ways of working to help the organisation continually improve.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Please ensure that you complete the on-line applications fully as you can as well as submitting an up-to-date CV. It is important that you demonstrate how you meet the essential and desirable criteria outlined within the Job Description.
We will evaluate your suitability for the role by assessing your qualifications, skills and experience.
To ensure you are in the best position to perform to your highest standards during our selection process, make sure you review the competencies outlined in the Job Description and have prepared examples of times you have successfully demonstrated these behaviours in the past.
Should you be successful, your offer will be subject to the successful completion of a 6-month probationary period and the provision of two satisfactory references.
If you apply for this role and your application is unsuccessful, we will, as part of the Equality Act 2010, retain your application for 1 year after the role is filled and then destroy this.