Ref 1789-SB Environmental Manager
EMPLOYING COMPANY: CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
JOB TITLE: Environmental Manager
REPORTS TO: HSQE Director
VACANCY REF: 1789-SB
RATE OF PAY: Manager Grade 1
HOURS PER WEEK: 37.5
DATE ADVERTISED: 07 October 2021
CLOSING DATE: 21 October 2021
The recruitment Information pack is designed to provide you with as much information as possible, relevant to the role and the recruitment process.
CalMac Ferries Limited is an equal opportunities employer; as such our selection processes are designed to promote equality of opportunity for all.
If you have any further queries, please contact HR Services by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
CalMac Ferries Limited is the UK's largest ferry operator in terms of ships and destinations served and one of the largest transport operators in Scotland. It is a multi-award-winning ferry and port operation and ship management specialist providing essential lifeline services and logistical support to island and remote communities.
For more information please visit our website at www.calmac.co.uk/corporate/about-us
BENEFITS OF A CAREER WITH CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
· A rewarding career
· A competitive salary
· Excellent training, development and career progression
· 37 days annual leave (pro-rata)
· Potential to work anywhere in the company's network.
· Staff travel pass for yourself, spouse/partner and dependents
The purpose of the role will be to develop, implement and monitor environmental strategies, policies and standards that promote sustainable delivery of the Clyde and Hebrides Ferry (CHFS) and Harbour Contracts and assure compliance with environmental legislation and relevant standards (such as ISO 14001 and ISO 50001) applicable to all activities within the company.
FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES/KEY TASKS
· Keep up to date with forthcoming regulatory changes and promulgate this information to the business
· Produce the environment strategy and plan, as part of the wider Company strategy
· Produce and manage the environmental stakeholder plan
· Liaise with regulatory bodies such as SEPA, MCA, Lloyd's Register, LRQA and other environmental stakeholders as identified in the stakeholder plan
· Develop environmental policies and standards for publication into the Company Management System
· Develop schemes to prevent and reduce environmental impacts of delivery of the CHFS and Harbour contracts.
· Support all areas of the business with the implementation of environmental policies and procedures
· Assure compliance with environmental legislation
· Collate, analyse and audit environmental performance data and report to relevant stakeholders
· Facilitate environmental reviews to ensure company objectives remain in line with the current standards and corporate strategy
· Investigation of environmental incidents when applicable
· Manage the relevant part of the Sustainable Environmental Data Management tool PURE
· Maintain Shipboard Energy Efficiency Management Plans
· Manage company obligations under carbon reporting regulations such as MRV, IMO DCS and SECR
· Management of the key supplier relationships
· Manage environmental budgets
THE ACCOUNTABILITIES SUPPORT DELIVERY OF THE FOLLOWING OUTCOMES/ OUTPUTS:
· Environment strategy and plan
· Environmental Aspect and Impacts Register (EAIR)
· Environmental legal register
· Weekly, monthly and quarterly reports highlighting performance against the plan, audit findings, trends and legal updates
· Annual performance report highlighting performance against plan
· Any other statutory reporting required under environmental legislation
KEY COMPETENCIES AND BEHAVIOURS
· Demonstrate a commitment to reducing the environmental impact of operations
· Work cooperatively and supportively with colleagues, developing positive, open working relationships
· Have a strong focus on continuous learning for yourself, others and the organisation
· Ability to come up with innovative, creative and imaginative solutions
· Adopt a methodical approach to work
· Drive to put energy into achieving results and take action to exceed goals and expectations
· Anticipate, meet and exceed the needs of customers
· Use judgement to take quick and confident decisions
· Lead and motivate others
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
· Degree/HND in a subject such as energy engineering, environmental health, environmental sciences/ management, biosciences, applied science, engineering, or physics
· Membership of a professional body (Institute of Environmental Assessment, IEMA or similar)
· Strong written/verbal communication skills and a persuasive and influential communicator
· Demonstrate excellent time management skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities
· A strong working knowledge of all Environmental legislation and its impact on the business
· Extensive experience working in a related senior management position preferably in the marine or oil & gas industry and working with Environmental standards such as ISO 14001, ISO 50001
· Experience in participating in the development of environmental strategy and initiatives and driving cultural change in relation to the environment, including risk management and can demonstrate a successful outcome
· Experience of working with reporting and analysis software
· Experience of implementing and auditing environmental standards
OUR NINE KEY COMPETENCIES ARE:
To ensure that we will lead and motivate others to enable them to contribute to the best of their ability.
DECISION MAKING AND JUDGEMENT
To ensure that we weigh the pros and cons of each decision point and take the decision which best meets the objective in hand.
To ensure that we work together to deliver the best we can achieve and our business goals.
To enable everyone to do their job and ensure that our staff are ready for the next step if the opportunity arises.
To ensure that we work in an effective and efficient manner. To ensure that we have the ability to adapt and change plans as the requirements of the situation change.
DRIVE FOR RESULTS
To ensure that we have the energy into achieving results and to take action to exceed goals and expectations.
To ensure the safety of ourselves, our teams, our customers and our visitors.
To ensure that we anticipate, meet and exceed the needs and expectations of our customers; both internal and external.
To encourage all staff to think of new or innovative ways of working to help the organisation continually improve.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
It is important that you demonstrate on your CV how you meet the essential and desirable criteria outlined within the Job Description.
We will evaluate your suitability for the role by assessing your qualifications, skills and experience.
To ensure you are in the best position to perform to your highest standards during our selection process, make sure you review the competencies outlined in the Job Description and have prepared examples of times you have successfully demonstrated these behaviours in the past.
Should you be successful, your offer will be subject to the successful completion of a 6-month probationary period and the provision of two satisfactory references.
If you apply for this role and your application is unsuccessful, we will, as part of the Equality Act 2010, retain your application for 1 year after the role is filled and then destroy this.