Ref 1964-SB Port Assistant Mallaig (Seasonal)
LOYING COMPANY: CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
JOB TITLE: Port Assistant
REPORTS TO: Port Manager
VACANCY REF: 1964-SB
RATE OF PAY: £11.26
HOURS PER WEEK: 1 x 40 hours contracts (July - October)
DATE ADVERTISED: 22 June 2022
CLOSING DATE: 06 July 2022
The recruitment Information pack is designed to provide you with as much information as possible, relevant to the role and the recruitment process.
CalMac Ferries Limited is an equal opportunities employer; as such our selection processes are designed to promote equality of opportunity for all.
If you have any further queries, please contact HR Services by email at email@example.com
CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
CalMac Ferries Limited is the UK's largest ferry operator in terms of ships and destinations served and one of the largest transport operators in Scotland. It is a multi-award-winning ferry and port operation and ship management specialist providing essential lifeline services and logistical support to island and remote communities.
For more information please visit our website at www.calmac.co.uk/corporate/about-us
BENEFITS OF A CAREER WITH CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
· Rewarding career
· A competitive Salary
· Excellent training, development and career progression
· 37 days annual leave (pro-rata)
· Potential to work in widely diverse workplaces and locations
· Staff travel pass for yourself, spouse/partner and dependents
· Good understanding of the CalMac Services.
· Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
· Good practical experience of customer services.
· Ability to work with initiative as self-starter, without supervision.
· Willingness to be a team player in a dynamic, proactive, high tension environment.
· Liaise with other port staff to ensure that there is a high level of proactive communication & coordination of activity.
· Processing verbal feedback.
· All duties connected with vessel movements & berthing arrangements.
· Customer enquiries.
· Use of VHF and PA Systems.
· Control of passengers and vehicles embarking and disembarking from vessels.
· Providing clear & concise direction to all passengers & vehicles embarking & disembarking the vessels.
· Any other duties required by the Port Manager.
FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES/KEY TASKS
· Responsible to the Port Manager for all duties connected with vessel movements in and out of the relevant Port.
· Secure vessels in accordance with Company procedures. Ensure car marshalling activities are carried out in a safe manner.
· Ensure safety and control of passengers embarking and disembarking from vessels
· Responsible for the collection of tickets from all passengers and vehicles and ensure tickets are valid for the journey.
· Maintain exterior and interior buildings, property and equipment in accordance with the Company's requirements.
· Undertake freight office duties, collection of cash, invoicing, collection and distribution of freight items both incoming and out-going.
· Assist in loading, checking, invoicing and manifesting freight items as required.
- Good understanding of the CalMac services
· You must be computer literate, with excellent verbal and written communication skills
· You must be customer focused, have a clear understanding of the customer interface and have a proactive approach to customer care.
· The successful candidate must be able to commute to Mallaig Ferry Terminal on a daily basis
· You are expected to have a flexible approach to working, as shift and weekend work will be involved
· Ability to work with initiative as a self-starter, without supervision
· Willingness to be a team player in a dynamic, proactive and fast-paced environment
- Experience using VHF and PA Systems
- Able to liaise with other port staff to ensure that there is a high level of proactive communication and coordination of activity
OUR NINE KEY COMPETENCIES ARE:
To ensure that we will lead and motivate others to enable them to contribute to the best of their ability.
DECISION MAKING AND JUDGEMENT
To ensure that we weigh the pros and cons of each decision point and take the decision which best meets the objective in hand.
To ensure that we work together to deliver the best we can achieve and our business goals.
To enable everyone to do their job and ensure that our staff are ready for the next step if the opportunity arises.
To ensure that we work in an effective and efficient manner. To ensure that we have the ability to adapt and change plans as the requirements of the situation change.
DRIVE FOR RESULTS
To ensure that we have the energy into achieving results and to take action to exceed goals and expectations.
To ensure the safety of ourselves, our teams, our customers and our visitors.
To ensure that we anticipate, meet and exceed the needs and expectations of our customers; both internal and external.
To encourage all staff to think of new or innovative ways of working to help the organisation continually improve.
It is important that you demonstrate on your CV how you meet the essential and desirable criteria outlined within the Job Description.
We will evaluate your suitability for the role by assessing your qualifications, skills and experience.
To ensure you are in the best position to perform to your highest standards during our selection process, make sure you review the competencies outlined in the Job Description and have prepared examples of times you have successfully demonstrated these behaviours in the past.
Should you be successful, your offer will be subject to the successful completion of a 6-month probationary period and the provision of two satisfactory references.
If you apply for this role and your application is unsuccessful, we will, as part of the Equality Act 2010, retain your application for 1 year after the role is filled and then destroy this.