Ref 1963-SB Freight Assistant (Mallaig)
EMPLOYING COMPANY: CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
JOB TITLE: Freight Assistant
REPORTS TO: Port Manager
VACANCY REF: 1963-SB
RATE OF PAY: £11.26 / hour
HOURS PER WEEK: 1 x 30 hour contract (March - October)
DATE ADVERTISED: 22 June 2022
CLOSING DATE: 29 June 2022
The recruitment Information pack is designed to provide you with as much information as possible, relevant to the role and the recruitment process.
CalMac Ferries Limited is an equal opportunities employer; as such our selection processes are designed to promote equality of opportunity for all.
If you have any further queries, please contact HR Services by email at email@example.com
CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
CalMac Ferries Limited is the UK's largest ferry operator in terms of ships and destinations served and one of the largest transport operators in Scotland. It is a multi-award-winning ferry and port operation and ship management specialist providing essential lifeline services and logistical support to island and remote communities.
For more information please visit our website at www.calmac.co.uk/corporate/about-us
BENEFITS OF A CAREER WITH CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
· Rewarding career
· A competitive Salary
· Excellent training, development and career progression
· 37 days annual leave (pro-rata)
· Potential to work in widely diverse workplaces and locations
· Staff travel pass for yourself, spouse/partner and dependents
FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES/KEY TASKS
Reporting to the Port Manager, you will need a flexible approach to your day-to-day responsibilities. Your duties will include;
- Managing freight by following the critical control points: Accepting, Storing, Loading, Transporting, Unloading and Delivering
- Carry out regular temperature control checks of food stuffs
- Managing freight bookings and manifesting
- Responsible for driving "vans" on and off vessels and transporting, freight items and ship stores
- Assist in loading, checking, invoicing and manifesting freight items as required
- Undertake freight office duties, collection of cash, invoicing, collection and distribution of freight items both incoming and outgoing
- Customer enquiries
- Sales/collection of passenger/vehicle tickets
- Cash handling
- Any other duties required to support the Port Manager
- Good understanding of the CalMac services
· You must be computer literate, with excellent verbal and written communication skills
· You must be customer focused, have a clear understanding of the customer interface and have a proactive approach to customer care.
· The successful candidate must be able to commute to Mallaig Ferry Terminal on a daily basis
· You are expected to have a flexible approach to working, as shift and weekend work will be involved
· Ability to work with initiative as a self-starter, without supervision
· Willingness to be a team player in a dynamic, proactive and fast-paced environment
· Full UK Driving Licence
- Experience using VHF and PA Systems
- Able to liaise with other port staff to ensure that there is a high level of proactive communication and coordination of activity
OUR NINE KEY COMPETENCIES ARE:
To ensure that we will lead and motivate others to enable them to contribute to the best of their ability.
DECISION MAKING AND JUDGEMENT
To ensure that we weigh the pros and cons of each decision point and take the decision which best meets the objective in hand.
To ensure that we work together to deliver the best we can achieve and our business goals.
To enable everyone to do their job and ensure that our staff are ready for the next step if the opportunity arises.
To ensure that we work in an effective and efficient manner. To ensure that we have the ability to adapt and change plans as the requirements of the situation change.
DRIVE FOR RESULTS
To ensure that we have the energy into achieving results and to take action to exceed goals and expectations.
To ensure the safety of ourselves, our teams, our customers and our visitors.
To ensure that we anticipate, meet and exceed the needs and expectations of our customers; both internal and external.
To encourage all staff to think of new or innovative ways of working to help the organisation continually improve.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Please ensure that you complete the on-line applications fully as you can as well as submitting an up-to-date CV. It is important that you demonstrate how you meet the essential and desirable criteria outlined within the Job Description.
We will evaluate your suitability for the role by assessing your qualifications, skills and experience.
To ensure you are in the best position to perform to your highest standards during our selection process, make sure you review the competencies outlined in the Job Description and have prepared examples of times you have successfully demonstrated these behaviours in the past.
Should you be successful, your offer will be subject to the successful completion of a 6-month probationary period and the provision of two satisfactory references.
If you apply for this role and your application is unsuccessful, we will, as part of the Equality Act 2010, retain your application for 1 year after the role is filled and then destroy this.