Ref 860-SG Seaman Purser (Lochaline - Fishnish)
EMPLOYING COMPANY: CALEDONIAN MACBRAYNE CREWING (GUERNSEY) LIMITED
JOB TITLE: Seaman / Purser (2nd Driver)
REPORTS TO: Skipper
VACANCY REF: 860-SG
LOCATION: Lochaline - Fishnish
SHIFT PATTERN: 1 week on / 1 week off
DATE ADVERTISED: 10 May 2022
CLOSING DATE: 24 May 2022
The recruitment Information pack is designed to provide you with as much information as possible, relevant to the role and the recruitment process.
Caledonian MacBrayne Crewing (Guernsey) Limited is an equal opportunities employer and a Disability Confident Employer. As such our selection processes are designed to promote equality of opportunity for all. We will ensure all applicants that declare a disability and/or Specific Learning Difference (SpLD), who meet the essential criteria for the post, will be invited to attend for interview.
If you have any further queries, please contact HR Services by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
CALEDONIAN MACBRAYNE CREWING (GUERNSEY) LIMITED
Caledonain MacBrayne Crewing (Guernsey) Limited employs and supplies all sea going staff to CalMac Ferries Limited. There are currently 34 ferries serving 52 ports on 29 routes providing 145,000 sailings per year.
CalMac Ferries Limited is the UK's largest ferry operator in terms of ships and destinations served and one of the largest transport operators in Scotland. It is a multi-award-winning ferry and port operation and ship management specialist providing essential lifeline services and logistical support to island and remote communities.
For more information please visit our website at www.calmac.co.uk/corporate/about-us.
BENEFITS OF A CAREER WITH CALEDONIAN MACBRAYNE CREWING (GUERNSEY) LIMITED
- A competitive salary
- 28 days annual leave (pro-rata)
- Excellent training, development and career progression
- Staff travel pass for yourself, spouse/partner and dependents
Applications are invited for the seasonal position of Seaman Purser to sail on the Lochaline - Fishnish route.
FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES/KEY TASKS
· Complying with the requirements of the Company Management System (including the ISM Code).
· Car marshalling on deck.
· Counting of passengers boarding vessel and ensuring that numbers comply with passenger certificates.
· Recording of vehicle and passenger numbers on each sailing.
· Cleanliness and painting of vessel.
· Maintenance as defined in the vessel's Planned Maintenance system.
· Familiarity with life-saving apparatus and firefighting equipment and participation in drills.
· Customer care.
· Operating the portable ticket machine, issuing travel tickets and collecting fares.
· Depositing takings in the approved manner.
· Any other duties required by the Master/Skipper
- Applicants should possess as a minimum STCW 2010: PST, PSSR, Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting, Elementary First Aid and a valid ENG1 Medical Certificate.
- ENG 1 (No restrictions)
- You must live locally (within reasonable daily community distance), or willing to relocate
- Full UK Driving License
- BML Tier 1 Level 2
· Efficient Deck Hand
· Small Vessel Experience
OUR NINE KEY COMPETENCIES ARE:
To ensure that we will lead and motivate others to enable them to contribute to the best of their ability.
DECISION MAKING AND JUDGEMENT
To ensure that we weigh the pros and cons of each decision point and take the decision which best meets the objective in hand.
To ensure that we work together to deliver the best we can achieve and our business goals.
To enable everyone to do their job and ensure that our staff are ready for the next step if the opportunity arises.
To ensure that we work in an effective and efficient manner. To ensure that we have the ability to adapt and change plans as the requirements of the situation change.
DRIVE FOR RESULTS
To ensure that we have the energy into achieving results and to take action to exceed goals and expectations.
To ensure the safety of ourselves, our teams, our customers and our visitors.
To ensure that we anticipate, meet and exceed the needs and expectations of our customers; both internal and external.
To encourage all staff to think of new or innovative ways of working to help the organisation continually improve.
It is important that you demonstrate how you meet the essential and desirable criteria outlined within the Job Description.
We will evaluate your suitability for the role by assessing your qualifications, skills and experience.
To ensure you are in the best position to perform to your highest standards during our selection process, make sure you review the competencies outlined in the Job Description and have prepared examples of times you have successfully demonstrated these behaviours in the past.
Should you be successful, your offer will be subject to the successful completion of a 6-month probationary period and the provision of two satisfactory references.
If you apply for this role and your application is unsuccessful, we will, as part of the Equality Act 2010, retain your application for 1 year after the role is filled and then destroy this.