Ref 1968-SB Harbour Supervisor
EMPLOYING COMPANY: CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
JOB TITLE: Harbour Supervisor
REPORTS TO: Port Manager
VACANCY REF: 1968-SB
RATE OF PAY: £13.59 / hour
HOURS PER WEEK: 40
DATE ADVERTISED: 22 June 2022
CLOSING DATE: 06 July 2022
The recruitment Information pack is designed to provide you with as much information as possible, relevant to the role and the recruitment process.
CalMac Ferries Limited is an equal opportunities employer; as such our selection processes are designed to promote equality of opportunity for all.
If you have any further queries, please contact HR Services by email email@example.com.
CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
CalMac Ferries Limited is the UK's largest ferry operator in terms of ships and destinations served and one of the largest transport operators in Scotland. It is a multi-award-winning ferry and port operation and ship management specialist providing essential lifeline services and logistical support to island and remote communities.
For more information please visit our website at www.calmac.co.uk/corporate/about-us
BENEFITS OF A CAREER WITH CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
· A rewarding career
· A competitive salary
· Excellent training, development and career progression
· 37 days annual leave (pro-rata)
· Potential to work anywhere in the company's network.
· Staff travel pass for yourself, spouse/partner and dependents
To provide local supervision of Harbour Operations at specified location(s), ensuring compliance with the Port Marine Safety Code and the CMAL Harbour Operating Agreement, and that good practice is adopted across all relevant activities.
FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES/KEY TASKS
· Support Port Managers to deliver a safe and effective harbours operation, and to ensure delivery of and compliance with Client's requirements and CFL Safety Management Systems;
· Supervision and resourcing of local staff, ensuring compliance with Training Matrix and Competence assessment;
· Ensure complete and accurate records are kept of all relevant activities including charging of all applicable harbour dues;
· Ensure routine inspections, maintenance, defect management, drills and exercises are undertaken in accordance with requirements;
· Safety Management of Contractors working within Harbour (including Diving);
· Supervise the safety of navigation for all harbour users;
· Maintain and promote the commercial and leisure use of the harbour;
· Reporting, management and investigation of unsafe acts, near misses, accidents and incidents;
· Ensure all required reports are submitted timeously, eg AtoNs, Infrastructure, Harbour Dues, CERS, etc;
· Supervision of any associated unmanned locations;
· Provide adequate response or assistance to Oil Spills or other such environmental incidents within SHA and local area;
· Any other duties as required by the Port Manager.
QUALIFICIATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
Essential education and training:
· Good standard of education (min: English and Maths qualifications)
· Formal or internally recognised Harbour or Marine Training Qualification, or working towards same
· Willingness to undertake training and continuing professional development
Desirable education and training:
· Qualified Harbour Master, or working towards same
· Office productivity tools (Microsoft)
· Formal Safety qualification, or working towards same (IOSH or NEBOSH)
· Exposure to a Harbour/Marine/Transport related environment
· Working with external stakeholders
· Developing and maintaining effective systems and processes
· Creating, maintaining, and presenting periodic reports and recommendations
· Managing both manual and electronic records
· Minimum 3 years working in an FM or Safety role
· Leading and co-ordinating meetings, maintaining minutes
· Supporting staff across different, disparate, locations
OUR NINE KEY COMPETENCIES ARE:
To ensure that we will lead and motivate others to enable them to contribute to the best of their ability.
DECISION MAKING AND JUDGEMENT
To ensure that we weigh the pros and cons of each decision point and take the decision which best meets the objective in hand.
To ensure that we work together to deliver the best we can achieve and our business goals.
To enable everyone to do their job and ensure that our staff are ready for the next step if the opportunity arises.
To ensure that we work in an effective and efficient manner. To ensure that we have the ability to adapt and change plans as the requirements of the situation change.
DRIVE FOR RESULTS
To ensure that we have the energy into achieving results and to take action to exceed goals and expectations.
To ensure the safety of ourselves, our teams, our customers and our visitors.
To ensure that we anticipate, meet and exceed the needs and expectations of our customers; both internal and external.
To encourage all staff to think of new or innovative ways of working to help the organisation continually improve.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
It is important that you demonstrate on your CV how you meet the essential and desirable criteria outlined within the Job Description.
We will evaluate your suitability for the role by assessing your qualifications, skills and experience.
To ensure you are in the best position to perform to your highest standards during our selection process, make sure you review the competencies outlined in the Job Description and have prepared examples of times you have successfully demonstrated these behaviours in the past.
If you apply for this role and your application is unsuccessful, we will, as part of the Equality Act 2010, retain your application for 1 year after the role is filled and then destroy this.