Ref 1992-SB Technical Manager
EMPLOYING COMPANY: CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
JOB TITLE: Technical Manager
REPORTS TO: Senior Technical Manager
VACANCY REF: 1992-SB
RATE OF PAY: £63,000 - £69,000 (Senior Manager)
LOCATION: Gourock (Agile working including working from home and across the CalMac Network)
HOURS PER WEEK: 37.5
DATE ADVERTISED: 02 August 2022
CLOSING DATE: 16 August 2022
The recruitment Information pack is designed to provide you with as much information as possible, relevant to the role and the recruitment process.
CalMac Ferries Limited is an equal opportunities employer; as such our selection processes are designed to promote equality of opportunity for all.
If you have any further queries, please contact HR Services by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
CalMac Ferries Limited is the UK's largest ferry operator in terms of ships and destinations served and one of the largest transport operators in Scotland. It is a multi-award-winning ferry and port operation and ship management specialist providing essential lifeline services and logistical support to island and remote communities.
For more information please visit our website at www.calmac.co.uk/corporate/about-us
BENEFITS OF A CAREER WITH CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
· A rewarding career
· A competitive salary
· Excellent training, development and career progression
· 37 days annual leave
· Potential to work anywhere in the company's network.
· Staff travel pass for yourself, spouse/partner and dependents
Responsible to the Senior Technical Manager, the Technical Manager will provide comprehensive technical management in support of the day to day operation of the Major Vessel Fleet.
The role will focus on vessel availability, reliability, budget performance, continuous improvement, defect management, root cause analysis, preventive maintenance and the provision of the timetabled service, whilst maintaining close ties with the Operations team in managing the day to day operations of the vessels in your area of responsibility.
The Technical Manager is expected to be an integral member of the Technical Operations Management Team. You will maintain a cooperative working relationship with the Technical Overhaul; Shore Support Maintenance Operations Manager; vessels staff and internal/external stakeholder's i.e. Class, MCA, CMAL. You will act as an escalation path for vessels. You will be responsible for the day to day technical operations of the Company's Major Vessel Fleet ensuring that the processes and procedures outlined in the Company Management System are followed.
As Technical Manager, you will be able to work remotely and we welcome applications from across the CalMac network. Please note that network travel and occasional travel to our head office at Gourock will be required.
FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES/KEY TASKS
- Achieve the standards and objectives set in line with the Asset Management Strategy.
- Ensuring good management processes and procedures are in place to ensure high performance of a safe, reliable and efficient fleet of vessels. Ensuring these processes and procedures are compliant with the ISM code. Ensuring regular reviews are carried out from a Technical perspective and change request made as required.
- Work closely with the vessels to verify that the routine and unplanned maintenance is recorded effectively and any outstanding items are followed up.
- Manage the vessel defect reporting system, responding to defects in a timely manner and assist the vessel to close out defects as required.
- Assist as required during the course of any accident, incident, investigations and outputs from MAIB reports
- Work closely with CMAL, MCA and Classification Societies carrying out regular shipboard visits to relevant vessels
- Recruiting, training and retaining the best staff.
- Overseeing the Technical performance of the vessels, ensuring that they are operated safely, economically and efficiently maintained to deliver a reliable and punctual service against timetable.
- Responsible for the resolution of technical issues affecting operations ensuring safe and efficient resolution & minimum time to repair vessels.
- In relation to Technical Services manage the interaction with external parties including but not limited to Classification Agency, MCA, MAIB, OEMs, third party suppliers and yards.
- Share relevant information on technical issues with other affected vessels within the fleet with a view of identifying common issues, trends and adopting preventative maintenance philosophy.
- Provide consistent liaison & open communication between shore based Asset Management team and vessels on technical policies, budget control, technical issues and projects
- Liaise with the HSQE department to effectively respond to the vessels management meetings including on technical issues raised via Safety Committee Meeting Minutes.
- Liaise with all departments to effectively respond to the vessels EOTR (End of Trip Report) with regards to any technical matters raised.
- Carry out annual technical inspections for relevant vessels.
- Liaise with and maintain a strong working relationship with the Marine, HSEQ and Service Delivery teams.
- Liaise with all departments to effectively respond to the vessels OMM (On board Management Meeting) with regards to technical matters raised.
- Ensuring that all ships in layup are adequately maintained and certification remains valid and in date.
- Promoting the Calmac culture through our values that define the sort of organisation we are, what we stand for and how we will all behave when carrying out our operations.
- Work closely with the vessels to prevent break downs and minimise the effect to the vessel and the larger network.
- Working closely with Technical Overhaul and other internal departments to promote and resolve technical related issues on the fleet including the production/support of management reports & meeting attendance.
- Support the production of overhaul specifications, planning & preparation and attendance at overhauls or emergency dockings as requested.
- Ensuring all necessary documentation and equipment required for relevant vessels are maintained and comply with relevant legislation.
- Ensuring the relevant vessels comply with the Company Operations Manuals, work instructions and fleet circulars.
- Any other duties required by the Senior Technical Manager.
- Maintain a programme of continuous improvement to ensure process and procedures.
- To provide input as a subject matter expert on projects within the Asset Management Directorate as requested.
Training & Development
- Support the Service Delivery team with the recruitment, training & development, performance appraisals/management and promotion of on-board engineering staff.
- Identify and propose relevant training opportunities with a view to developing personal knowledge.
- Continually review feedback and plan and implement corrective action to ensure that exceptional service is consistently delivered.
Finance & Budgets
- Support the production of technical budgets for vessels and control technical costs in line with the agreed running repairs budget.
- Responsible for the oversight and operational management of the running repair budget. Ensuring all vessels running repair costs are in line with approved budgets and reported on a monthly basis with justification on both positive and negative variances.
- Provide support and ensure follow-up is accomplished to conclusion for any internal or external audits, management reports or inspections.
- Ensure a safe working environment
- Provide colleagues with information, instruction and training on all aspects of health and safety relevant to safely undertaking duties
- Review and update Risk Assessments, and ensure understanding amongst staff
- Carry out, review and update risk assessments and ensure clear communication to colleagues
- Report all accidents and near misses
- Follow up and investigate all incidents proportionately
- Hold regular health and safety meetings with effective representation from colleagues
- Carry out regular safety checks, inspections and compliance checks in line with the Company Management System
- Regularly check the CMS updates to keep up to date with all Company safety processes
- Lead by example
Environmental & Waste Management
- Ensure that you have participated in the Environmental Awareness training.
- Follow company procedures at all times to minimise environmental risk.
- Report all environmental incidents and near misses as soon as practicable.
- Minimise your waste and correctly segregate waste in line with company policies.
- Minimise energy consumption by taking responsibility for your own carbon footprint - ie. Turn off computers and other electrical equipment when not in use, minimise printing, only print in black and white double-sided, keep office temperatures comfortable, drive efficiently etc.
- Implement the sustainable travel hierarchy.
- Identify opportunities for environmental improvement within your area of work, ensuring that it aligns with the goals of the Environmental Strategy.
- Report all environmental CSR projects to the Environmental Manager for inclusion within annual reports.
- Ensure that your team implement the sustainable travel hierarchy.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Hold an STCW III/2 Chief Engineer (no limitations) or equivalent with marine experience. Candidates with lower qualifications who can demonstrate knowledge and experience with Ro-Ro vessels would be considered.
- Management experience of duel fuel vessels - all aspects of vessel operations required.
- Management experience of gas vessels i.e. tankers - all aspects of vessel operations required.
- Can demonstrate a high level of competence in all aspects of technical management.
- Able to demonstrate an ability to foster close working relationships both internally and with external ferry regulators.
- Have worked effectively in an environment which requires excellence in safety, operations and customer service.
- Have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills coupled with strong leadership, influencing and collaborative working skills.
- Ability to build relationships and manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Be proficient in the use of Microsoft packages, mobile technology and asset management systems.
- Highly developed communication skills and ability to build relationships all levels. Work cooperatively and supportively with colleagues, developing positive, open working relationships.
- Have integrity and be passionate about what they do, demonstrating and working by the company values.
- Have a strong work and environmental ethic and eagerness to develop solutions to problems.
- Be precise and thorough in their approach and promote continuous improvement across the team and functional areas.
- Be able to demonstrate strong budget management experience with the ability to employ cost control techniques.
OUR NINE KEY COMPETENCIES ARE:
To ensure that we will lead and motivate others to enable them to contribute to the best of their ability.
DECISION MAKING AND JUDGEMENT
To ensure that we weigh the pros and cons of each decision point and take the decision which best meets the objective in hand.
To ensure that we work together to deliver the best we can achieve and our business goals.
To enable everyone to do their job and ensure that our staff are ready for the next step if the opportunity arises.
To ensure that we work in an effective and efficient manner. To ensure that we have the ability to adapt and change plans as the requirements of the situation change.
DRIVE FOR RESULTS
To ensure that we have the energy into achieving results and to take action to exceed goals and expectations.
To ensure the safety of ourselves, our teams, our customers and our visitors.
To ensure that we anticipate, meet and exceed the needs and expectations of our customers; both internal and external.
To encourage all staff to think of new or innovative ways of working to help the organisation continually improve.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Please ensure that you complete the on-line applications fully as you can as well as submitting an up-to-date CV. It is important that you demonstrate how you meet the essential and desirable criteria outlined within the Job Description.
We will evaluate your suitability for the role by assessing your qualifications, skills and experience.
To ensure you are in the best position to perform to your highest standards during our selection process, make sure you review the competencies outlined in the Job Description and have prepared examples of times you have successfully demonstrated these behaviours in the past.
Should you be successful, your offer will be subject to the successful completion of a 6-month probationary period and the provision of two satisfactory references.
If you apply for this role and your application is unsuccessful, we will, as part of the Equality Act 2010, retain your application for 1 year after the role is filled and then destroy this.