EMPLOYING COMPANY: CALEDONIAN MACBRAYNE CREWING (GUERNSEY) LIMITED
JOB TITLE: Second Engineer
REPORTS TO: Chief Engineer
VACANCY REF: 699-SG
RATE OF PAY: £55,210
LOCATION: Western Isles Fleet
SHIFT PATTERN: 2 weeks on / 2 weeks off
DATE ADVERTISED: 17 March 2020
CLOSING DATE: 31 March 2020
The recruitment Information pack is designed to provide you with as much information as possible, relevant to the role and the recruitment process.
CalMac Ferries Limited is an equal opportunities employer; as such our selection processes are designed to promote equality of opportunity for all.
If you have any further queries, please contact HR Services by email email@example.com or by telephone on 01475 650144.
CALEDONIAN MACBRAYNE CREWING (GUERNSEY) LIMITED
Caledonain MacBrayne Crewing (Guernsey) Limited employs and supplies all sea going staff to CalMac Ferries Limited. There are currently 33 ferries serving 52 ports on 29 routes providing 145,000 sailings per year.
CalMac Ferries Limited is the UK'slargest ferry operator in terms of ships and destinations served and one of the largest transport operators in Scotland. It is a multi-award winning ferry and port operation and ship management specialist providing essential lifeline services and logistical support to island and remote communities.
For more information please visit our website at www.calmac.co.uk/corporate/about-us.
BENEFITS OF A CAREER WITH CALEDONIAN MACBRAYNE CREWING (GUERNSEY) LIMITED
• A rewarding career
• A competitive salary
• Excellent training, development and career progression
• 42 days annual leave (pro-rata)
• Potential to work anywhere in the company's network.
• Staff travel pass for yourself, spouse/partner and dependents
Applications are invited for the position of Second Engineer, to sail within the Western Isles Fleet.
esponsible to the Chief Engineer for watch-keeping duties, planned maintenance and breakdown repair work.
Will have exceptional technical and professional skills, and be able to demonstrate good leadership and communication skills, as well as the ability to think in a creative and innovative manner.
Will also be able to demonstrate an awareness of the business environment, have a clear understanding of the customer interface and have a proactive approach to customer care.
FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES/KEY TASKS
• Observing the Chief Engineer's standing orders at all times.
• Following the Chief Engineer's instructions regarding watchkeeping duties, planned maintenance tasks to be carried out and breakdown repair work to be done.
• Recording any information on the duties, planned maintenance tasks or breakdown repairs, which the Chief Engineer has performed, and bringing this information to the Chief Engineer's attention.
• Recording any spare parts used and notifying the Chief Engineer of spare parts used, stocks remaining, and any other relevant information required for recording or re-ordering spare parts.
• Instructing Third Engineer (if one) and Engine Room Ratings on work to be carried out, and detailing personnel to do such work.
• Assisting and/or supervising the fuelling of the vessel, transferring of lubricating oils on board or oil sludge transfer to tanks ashore for disposal.
• Assisting the Chief Engineer in all aspects of their duties on board vessel.
• Ensuring that any work carried out is done in a safe, efficient manner, within the Engineering Department's field of work.
• Any other duties required by the Chief Engineer.
• Must be qualified to STCW'95 Chief Engineer III/2 Unlimited (Motor).
• Must have experience of report & specification writing.
• Basic working knowledge of ship technical financial operations.
• Good working knowledge of PC's & word/spreadsheet, Office 365 & generic PM software packages.
• Must have good problem solving & analytical skills.
• Experience as Temporary Second Engineer (within the CalMac Ferries Limited Fleet) would be advantageous.
OUR NINE KEY COMPETENCIES ARE:
To ensure that we will lead and motivate others to enable them to contribute to the best of their ability.
DECISION MAKING AND JUDGEMENT
To ensure that we weigh the pros and cons of each decision point and take the decision which best meets the objective in hand.
To ensure that we work together to deliver the best we can achieve and our business goals.
To enable everyone to do their job and ensure that our staff are ready for the next step if the opportunity arises.
To ensure that we work in an effective and efficient manner. To ensure that we have the ability to adapt and change plans as the requirements of the situation change.
DRIVE FOR RESULTS
To ensure that we have the energy into achieving results and to take action to exceed goals and expectations.
To ensure the safety of ourselves, our teams, our customers and our visitors.
To ensure that we anticipate, meet and exceed the needs and expectations of our customers; both internal and external.
To encourage all staff to think of new or innovative ways of working to help the organisation continually improve.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Please ensure that you complete the on-line applications fully as you can as well as submitting an up-to-date CV. It is important that you demonstrate how you meet the essential and desirable criteria outlined within the Job Description.
We will evaluate your suitability for the role by assessing your qualifications, skills and experience.
To ensure you are in the best position to perform to your highest standards during our selection process, make sure you review the competencies outlined in the Job Description and have prepared examples of times you have successfully demonstrated these behaviours in the past.
Should you be successful, your offer will be subject to the successful completion of a 6-month probationary period and the provision of two satisfactory references.